Brett Cohen, MD, FACS
Brett Cohen, MD, FACS is a board certified general surgeon. He received his MD degree at the University of Miami where he also did his general surgery training.
After completing six years of training in general surgery he spent another full year studying under the guidance of one of the nation’s leaders in laparoscopy and weight loss surgery. He did his advanced laparoscopic fellowship at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. Here he gained the expertise and the skills that are necessary to perform these complex procedures and how to take care of patients that have had weight loss surgery.
His dedication to weight loss surgery has come from the success inherent to these surgeries and the differences that they make in patient’s lives. Dr. Cohen performs the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, the Lap Band and the sleeve gastrectomy. He is also one of the first and only surgeons in South Florida to offer the Stomaphyx procedure for patients that have struggled with their weight loss or have gained some weight back after gastric bypass surgery.
Education and Training:
- M.D., University of Miami School of Medicine
- Resident, Internal Medicine Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Fellow, Advanced Laparoscopy and Bariatric Surgery, University of Southern California
- Resident, General Surgery, University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Resident, General Surgery, Emory University
Certifications and Licensure
- Board Certified, American Board of Surgery, General Surgery
- Medical License, State of Florida
- Member, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Member, SAGES – Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons